RETURN TO RACING
APPENDIX A: RETURN TO RACING PROTOCOLS
The following outline provides details for production of our junior mountain bike race series. Our aim is to help prevent the spread of the virus while still offering important outdoor recreation which provides much needed physical and mental outlets for our community.
The Arizona Junior Race Series is a local mountain bike race for middle school and high school mountain bike leagues.
The racing format is a Team Time Trial where riders race against the clock, one at a time. Each team will be assigned a start time based on size and experience level. One team will arrive at their designated time and each participant on the team will race one at a time on 1 min intervals. That team will be provided with enough time to complete their roster of riders. Only this team and our staff will be in the starting area. Once complete, that team will leave the venue and the next team will arrive at their assigned time. The team at the next assigned time may arrive up to 15 min early and will be staged in designated staging area, away from others where they can wait until their start time. No parents or spectators are allowed in the staging area. However, we will designate “Parent Pods” within the venue or near the course. A Pod is a large area marked with signage where NO MORE than 10 parents/spectators may gather to watch their child race. These spectators must leave once that team has finished racing. There will be a one-way flow of people exiting the venue, so no overlap occurs with a staging team.
Team members are considered one unit and permitted to stay together as they spend time together during weekly practice sessions. Teams will be required to register online ahead of time and coaches are allowed to pick up the race plates for the entire team.
Agreement not to attend
- All athletes will agree not to attend if they are sick or have experienced any COVID symptoms 14 days prior to the event.
- Family and friends not competing will be expected to be kept to a minimum.
- Athletes (from different teams) will not congregate before or after the event and will be requested to socially distance at all times.
- Riders will be required to be self-sufficient carrying flat tire repair and necessary food and water during their race
- No Aid Stations are on course
- Packet Pick Up Tent –*see Low Contact Packet Pick up for details.
- Medical Services – Medstar professional medical team will conduct safety checks of the venue and athletes and provide medical services for injuries
- Self-serve water station & prepackaged food table
- Neutral Support – Local bike shop providing assistance of minor bike repairs for participants with proper social distance guidelines in place.
Low Contact Packet Pick-Up & Awards
- Packet Pick-Up – Pre-assembled packets including handlebar ties, race plates and packaged face covering will be available in a labeled bag for the entire team. The coach may pick up the team’s bag.
- Barriers present at our packet pick up.
- Individual Results – With rolling Time Trials – your individual results will be available onsite
- Team Results – since this is a time trial event, team results will not be calculated until all athletes and teams have raced
- Overall Results – since this is a time trial event, your overall position in your category will not be available until all athletes have raced
- Awards – to limit contact and keep social distancing, there will not be any onsite awards, athletes will receive their recognition via social media and final results.
Face Coverings & Social Distancing
- Face Coverings
- Will be provided to registered team members as part of their pre-assembled goodie bag.
- Face Coverings are a tubular bandana and will be individually packaged from the manufacturer.
- All attendees (athletes and spectators) will be expected to cover their nose and mouth when social distancing cannot be maintained.
- Social Distancing – anywhere a line may form such as at porta-potties or packet pickup event barricades will be placed with designated 6 foot spacing marked on the ground with irrigation flags to keep people separated.
Sanitation & Touchless Aid Stations
- Hand sanitizer stations – will be placed throughout the event venue.
- New no-touch water dispensers – will be available for self-serve use water bottle filling both on course and at the finish line. Water is dispensed by pushing a bottle into the dispenser or with a foot pedal.
- Pre-packaged food available at self-serve tables at the finish line.
- Self-sufficient racing required –
- Athletes will be asked to be self-sufficient carrying their own food and water.
- Self-Serve stations are available at Start/Finish