JR RACE SERIES
***THIS IS A PRELIMINARY DOCUMENT AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE RACE APPROVAL**
Hub Event productions is bringing a 3 event Junior Mountain Bike Series to the Valley.
#1 McDowell – Tentative Nov 7/8 2020
#2 Estrella – TBD (Nov 21/22)
#3 Cave Creek – TBD (Dec 7/8)
Please review our RETURN TO RACING protocols for all the preventive measures we are taking during the Pandemic.
General statement regarding CV19 and these events –
In simplest terms, if you don’t feel well, stay at home.
If you have experienced symptoms within 14 days of racing, stay at home.
If you are not comfortable racing under the protocols or they are not stringent enough for you, don’t sign up or race.
We are simply trying to provide an option to race with guidelines that are acceptable to the county for an event.
Safe Race Event Guidelines
Race format is individual time trial. In a time trial, riders set off on a circuit at staggered intervals in a race against the clock. The elapsed time from start to finish, plus any time penalties, is used as the rider’s total time for the event and determines placement relative to other riders in the same category.
Only one team will race at a time – boys and girls, high school and middle school together. Riders will be started at a constant interval and the order will be determined by the team’s coaches. The goal is to minimize passing and where passing occurs, for it to take place within a team that has already been practicing together.
Events will be held over two days on scheduled weekends, however entire teams will compete on a single day. On race weekend, teams will have a designated arrival time at the event site, allowing for a warm-up period, a staging time and a start time. Teams that are closest to the venue will be scheduled earlier in the day, while teams that have further to travel will race later in the day.
Girls: Varsity / JV/ Freshman / 8th Grade / 7th Grade / 6th Grade
Boys: Varsity / JV/ Freshman / 8th Grade / 7th Grade / 6th Grade
Overall Teams – 5 Deep
**Race director reserves the right to adjust categories as necessary to accommodate team size and participation**
- Team Time Trial – Athletes race individually against the clock.
- Assigned times – Teams are assigned a start time and finish time.
- One Way – The course is one-way so that athletes will not overlap unless passed.
- Exit promptly – Once finished, the team will clear the area, following the exit route, and the next team will move in.
- Team in cue – Team next in line may arrive to the “Team Holding” area up to 15 minutes before their assigned start
- Teams – Teams are considered one unit and safe because they are together at weekly practice sessions.
REGISTRATION / PARTICIPATION
- Waiver – Each participant must register themselves and have a parent/guardian sign the waiver
- Registration – Online Registration Only. No onsite registration available
- Registration closes 3 days prior to the event (Tuesday at 8pm of race week).
- Start List – Coaches will provide a start list, in order, by Thursday of race week at 5PM.
- Agreement not to attend:
- All athletes will agree not to attend if they are sick or have experienced any COVID symptoms 14 days prior to the event.
- Family and friends not competing will be expected to be kept to a minimum.
- Athletes (from different teams) will not congregate before or after the event and will be requested to socially distance at all times.
- Self Support – Riders are required to be self-sufficient carrying flat tire repair and necessary food and water during their race
- No Aid Stations are on course
- Feed Zone – A feed zone is available in the start/finish area for no more than 8 people present at one time in a designated 225 foot area.
- Parent Pod – designated areas** (where available) near the race course, of no more then 10 people, where parents or legal guardians will be able to watch their child race. Parents will leave the venue along with the team when they have finished racing.
- Venue amenities:
- Packet Pick Up Tent –*see Low Contact Packet Pick up for details.
- Medical Services – professional medical team will conduct safety checks of the venue and athletes and provide medical services for injuries
- Self-serve water station & Prepackaged Food – All food will be prepackaged. New no-touch water dispensers will be available for self-serve water bottle filling both at the start/finish area. Water is dispensed by pushing a bottle into the dispenser or with a foot pedal.
- Neutral Support – Local bike shop providing assistance of minor bike repairs for participants with proper social distance guidelines in place.
PARKING AND CAMPING:
We can only permit LIMITED race-related camping at the McDowell venue. To camp at the other events please visit the Maricopa Parks website and reserve camping directly with them. If no camping is available or sold out please make other arrangements if you must make it an overnight experience. Once a team has completed it’s race there is no need to return to the venue as there is not an awards ceremony.
Parking is available at each venue however to limit numbers we ask that teams do not arrive earlier then 2 hours before their start time. Warm up and practice away from the starting venue and other teams when possible.
PACKET PICK UP & AWARDS
- Packet Pick-Up – Pre-assembled packets including handlebar ties, race plates and packaged face covering will be available in a labeled bag for the entire team. The coach may pick up the team’s bag.
- Barriers present at our packet pick up
RESULTS / AWARDS
- Individual Results – With rolling Time Trials – your individual results will be available onsite
- Team Results – since this is a time trial event, team results will not be calculated until all athletes and teams have raced
- Overall Results – since this is a time trial event, your overall position in your category will not be available until all athletes have raced
- Series – the series will be a 3 race series, all events will count with no dropped events, you must race in the same category for all points to count
- Awards – to limit contact and keep social distancing, there will not be any onsite awards, athletes will receive their recognition via social media and final results.
- Individual Awards – 3 deep per category
- Team Awards – 5 deep
- Face Coverings
- A tubular bandana face covering, individually packaged from the manufacturer are provided to each registered team member as part of their pre-assembled goodie bag.
- All attendees (athletes and spectators) will be expected to cover their nose and mouth when social distancing cannot be maintained.
- At the start line – all athletes are expected to have a face covering.
- On the course athletes may opt to ride without a face covering
TOUCHLESS AID STATIONS
- Hand sanitizer – will be placed throughout the event venue.
- New no-touch water dispensers available for self-serve water bottle filling at the start/finish line. Water is dispensed by pushing a bottle into the dispenser or with a foot pedal.
- Pre-packaged food – will be available at self-serve tables both on course and at the finish line.
- Self-sufficient racing required
- Athletes will be asked to be self-sufficient carrying their own food and water.
- Self-Serve stations are available at Start/Finish
A professional medical team will be onsite Saturday and Sunday